Talk like an Academic series (7 weeks)
Talk like an Academic series (7 weeks) In-Person
What is the Talk like an Academic series?
This seven-week in-person program provides support for graduate-level students with English as an additional language (EAL). Participants will learn and practice English communication skills and strategies for typical academic situations.
- Communicating with professors and advisors
- Communicating with students as a teaching assistant (TA)
- Making your point in class discussions
- Communicating in job interviews
- Listening in lectures and talks
- Presenting your research to a general or academic audience
This program is divided into seven 2-hour workshops that run over seven weeks.
Is Talk like an Academic for you?
- Are you a University of Guelph graduate student, postdoctoral scholar, or visiting scholar who speaks English as an additional language?
- Would you like to develop your confidence and skills in English communication?
- Would you like a safe place to practice communicating with others and delivering a presentation?
If you answered yes to these questions, then this program is for you!
What can you expect as a participant?
- Participants will engage in discussions around the challenges and strategies for successfully communicating in academic scenarios.
- Participants will engage in practice activities, including group discussions, thesis pitches, mock interviews, and short presentations, that will allow them to learn and practice English communication skills and strategies.
- Participants will brainstorm and develop language and vocabulary for these scenarios.
Who can attend?
This program accepts registrations from any University of Guelph graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, or visiting scholars with English as an additional language (EAL). We encourage participants to be willing and able to attend all seven weeks of this program.
When will the next Talk like an Academic be offered?
Thursdays from 9:30 am - 11:30 am, from January 26th to March 16th, 2023 (no class on February 23rd).
How do I register?
Complete the Talk like an Academic registration form below. Please note that when you register, you are registering for all seven workshops, Thursdays, January 26th - March 16th, 9:30 am - 11:30 am. There will be no session on Thursday, February 23rd, during the Winter Break.
- Dates & Times:
- 9:30am - 11:30am, Thursday, January 26, 2023
9:30am - 11:30am, Thursday, February 2, 2023
9:30am - 11:30am, Thursday, February 9, 2023
9:30am - 11:30am, Thursday, February 16, 2023
9:30am - 11:30am, Thursday, March 2, 2023
9:30am - 11:30am, Thursday, March 9, 2023
9:30am - 11:30am, Thursday, March 16, 2023
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- Library 384
- McLaughlin Library