EAL Graduate Writing Camp
EAL Graduate Writing Camp
This intensive 4-day program is designed to help graduate students who have English as an additional language develop their writing and grammar skills in order to help them edit their own work more effectively.
In Summer 2022, we are offering EAL Writing Camp in person.
In the morning, you will attend two hours of in-person workshops on writing and grammar skills. In the afternoon, you will attend 1:1 online writing consultations with Writing and EAL Specialists, or use the time for writing.
Dates: Monday to Thursday, May 16 – 19, 9:15 am – 2:00 pm
*Please note: Participants are strongly encouraged to attend all 4 days of the program.
Registration is very limited so we can maintain ample distancing in the classroom. Masks are mandatory.
Writing sample required: Please note that you will need to copy and paste a short writing sample into the registration form in order to complete your registration. Your spot will be held for only 10 minutes while you complete the form. Therefore, you may want to locate or prepare your writing sample BEFORE selecting "Begin Registration" below.
- The sample should be MAXIMUM 200 words.
- A suggested topic is to write about your research project, but you can choose another topic if you wish.
- You could submit an abstract that you have already written or a 200-word excerpt from a paper, as long as it is your own original writing.
- The writing sample will help the facilitators understand the needs of the participants as well as serving as material for participants to use for self-editing.
- If there is any sensitive or private information in your writing sample, please edit it to remove that content before submitting.
Who is eligible to attend?
This program accepts registrations from current University of Guelph graduate students with English as an additional language (EAL) who:
- Are in the process of writing their major research paper, proposal, or dissertation
- Are willing and able to attend the full 3-day camp online
- Can provide a 200-word academic writing sample in advance of the camp
Postdoctoral students, visiting scholars/researchers, staff, and faculty at the University of Guelph are also welcome to register if English is an additional language and if they are currently working on a writing project.
Note: This camp DOES NOT focus on thesis/dissertation organization and structure or on paraphrasing and summarizing -- for those topics, please consider attending Dissertation Boot Camp and/or Brain Food.
How do I register?
- Please register only for the first day of the camp (Monday, May 16, 2022). Your registration for the first day automatically applies to all 4 days.
- Registration closes on Monday, May 9, 2022.
- The writing sample is required as part of your registration.
- Dates & Times:
- 9:15am - 2:00pm, Monday, May 16, 2022
9:15am - 2:00pm, Tuesday, May 17, 2022
9:15am - 2:00pm, Wednesday, May 18, 2022
9:15am - 2:00pm, Thursday, May 19, 2022
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- Library 384
- McLaughlin Library