Write like an Academic Online series (6 sessions)
Write like an Academic Online series (6 sessions) Online
What is the Write like an Academic series?
This six-part program provides support in academic written communication for graduate-level students with English as an Additional Language (EAL). This program provides students an opportunity to improve their writing in typical graduate-student academic and professional scenarios. The scenarios include:
- Writing emails to professors and/or advisors
- Providing written feedback to students as TAs
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Writing abstracts for academic audiences
- Writing cover letters to potential employers
- Organizing and writing a slide deck
In Fall 2020, this program has moved online. It is divided into six 2-hour workshops, running twice a week for 3 weeks.
Is Write like an Academic for you?
- Are you a graduate student, postdoctoral fellow, or visiting scholar who speaks English as an Additional Language?
- Would you like to develop your confidence and skills in academic writing?
- Would you like a safe place to practice and develop writing strategies for a variety of academic contexts?
If you answered yes to these questions, then this program is for you!
What can you expect as a participant?
- Participants will engage in discussions around the challenges and strategies for successfully writing emails to advisors and professors; feedback to students (as TAs); paraphrases; abstracts; cover letters; and slide decks.
- Participants will engage in practice activities that will allow them to learn and practice written communication skills and strategies as they apply to these academic and professional scenarios.
- Students will brainstorm and develop language and vocabulary that can be used in these writing tasks.
Who can attend?
This program accepts registrations from any UofG graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, or visiting scholars with English as an Additional Language (EAL). We encourage students to be willing and able to attend all six sessions of this program.
How do I register?
Complete the Write like an Academic registration form below. Please note that when you submit this form, you are registering for all six sessions. You will receive a confirmation email with the CourseLink site URL. On CourseLink, go to Self-Registration to access the site before the start of the program.
- Dates & Times:
- 9:30am - 11:30am, Tuesday, October 20, 2020
9:30am - 11:30am, Thursday, October 22, 2020
9:30am - 11:30am, Tuesday, October 27, 2020
9:30am - 11:30am, Thursday, October 29, 2020
9:30am - 11:30am, Tuesday, November 3, 2020
9:30am - 11:30am, Thursday, November 5, 2020
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.