Write like an Academic series (6 weeks)
What is the Write like an Academic series?
This six-week program provides support in academic written communication for graduate-level students with English as an Additional Language (EAL). This program provides students an opportunity to improve their writing in typical graduate-student academic and professional scenarios. The scenarios include:
- Writing emails to professors and/or advisors
- Providing written feedback to students as TAs
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Writing abstracts for academic audiences
- Writing cover letters to potential employers
- Organizing and writing a slide deck
This program is divided into six workshops that run over six weeks. Each workshop is two hours in length. This program is offered only in the Fall semester and accommodates 20 – 25 students.
Is Write like an Academic for you?
- Are you a graduate student, postdoctoral fellow, or visiting scholar who speaks English as an Additional Language?
- Would you like to develop your confidence and skills in academic writing?
- Would you like a safe place to practice and develop writing strategies for a variety of academic contexts?
If you answered yes to these questions, then this program is for you!
When will the next Write like an Academic be offered?
Thursdays from 2:00pm - 4:00pm, from September 26 - November 7, 2019. (No class on Thursday, October 17.)
What can you expect as a participant?
- Participants will engage in discussions around the challenges and strategies for successfully writing emails to advisors and professors; feedback to students (as TAs); paraphrases; abstracts; cover letters; and slide decks.
- Participants will engage in practice activities that will allow them to learn and practice written communication skills and strategies as they apply to these academic and professional scenarios.
- Students will brainstorm and develop language and vocabulary that can be used in these writing tasks.
Who can attend?
This program accepts registrations from any UofG graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, or visiting scholars with English as an Additional Language (EAL). We encourage students to be willing and able to attend all six weeks of this program.
How do I apply?
Complete the Write like an Academic registration form below. Please note that when you submit this form, you are registering for all six workshops, Thursdays, September 26 - November 7, 2:00 - 4:00 pm.
- Dates & Times:
- 2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, September 26, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, October 3, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, October 10, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, October 24, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, October 31, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, November 7, 2019
- Library 384
- McLaughlin Library