Talk like an Academic series (7 weeks)
What is the Talk like an Academic Series?
This seven-week program provides support in academic communication support for graduate-level students with English as an Additional Language (EAL). This program provides students an opportunity to learn and practice English language communication skills and strategies for interacting in typical graduate-student academic and professional scenarios. The scenarios include:
- Summarizing and discussing research in brief interactions with fellow academics
- Interacting with professors and/or advisors
- Interacting as TAs with students
- Participating in classroom and group work discussions
- Communicating in job interviews
- Conducting presentations and thesis defenses
This program is divided into seven workshops that run over seven weeks. Each workshop is two hours in length.
Is Talk like an Academic for You?
- Are you a graduate student or visiting scholar who speaks English as an Additional Language?
- Would you like to develop your confidence and skills in English language communication?
- Would you like a safe place to practice speaking and delivering a presentation?
If you answered yes to these questions, then this program is for you!
When will the Next Talk like an Academic be Offered?
Thursdays from 2:00pm - 4:00pm, from January 24th to March 14th, 2019 (no class on February 21st).
What Can You Expect as a Participant?
- Students will engage in discussions around the challenges and strategies to successfully communicate:
- With advisors and professors
- In one-on-one interactions with students (as TAs)
- In group work or classroom discussions
- In talking about your research at conferences
- At job interviews
- During presentations
- Students will engage in practice activities, including group discussions, thesis pitches, mock interviews, and short presentations, that will allow them to learn and practice English language communication skills and strategies as they apply to these academic and professional scenarios.
- Students will brainstorm and develop language and vocabulary that can be used during these scenarios.
How are Participants Selected?
This program accepts applications from any University of Guelph graduate students, post-doctoral students, or visiting scholars or researchers with English as an Additional Language (EAL). We encourage participants to be willing and able to attend all seven weeks of this program.
How Do I Apply?
Complete the Talk like an Academic application form below. Please note that when you submit this application, you are applying for all seven workshops, Thursdays, January 24th - March 14th, 2:00pm - 4:00pm. You will be contacted via email to let you know whether you have been accepted.
- Dates & Times:
- 2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, January 24, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, January 31, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, February 7, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, February 14, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, February 28, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, March 7, 2019
2:00pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, March 14, 2019
- Library 384
- McLaughlin Library