Talk like an Academic series (7 weeks)
What is the Talk like an Academic series?
This seven-week program provides support in academic communication support for graduate-level students with English as an Additional Language (EAL). This program provides students an opportunity to learn and practice English language communication skills and strategies for interacting in typical graduate-student academic and professional scenarios. The scenarios include:
- Interacting with professors and/or advisors
- Interacting as TAs with students
- Participating in classroom and group work discussions
- Summarizing and discussing research in brief interactions with fellow academics
- Communicating in job interviews
- Conducting presentations and thesis defenses
This program is divided into seven workshops that run over seven weeks. Each workshop is two hours in length. This program is offered this Winter 2018 and accommodates 35 students per program.
Is Talk like an Academic for you?
- Are you a graduate student or visiting scholar who speaks English as an Additional Language?
- Would you like to develop your confidence and skills in English language communication?
- Would you like a safe place to practice speaking and delivering a presentation or thesis defense?
If you answered yes to these questions, then this program is for you!
When will the next Talk like an Academic be offered?
Thursdays from 3:00pm - 5:00pm, from January 18th to March 8th (no class on February 22nd).
What can you expect as a participant?
- Students will engage in discussions around the challenges and strategies to successfully communicate:
- With advisors and professors
- In one-on-one interactions with students (as TAs)
- In group work or classroom discussions
- In talking about your research at conferences
- At job interviews
- During presentations
- Students will engage in practice activities, including debates, thesis pitches, mock interviews, and short presentations, that will allow them to learn and practice English language communication skills and strategies as they apply to these academic and professional scenarios
- Students will brainstorm and develop language and vocabulary that can be used during these scenarios
How are participants selected?
This program accepts applications from any University of Guelph graduate students or visiting scholars with English as an Additional Language (EAL). We encourage students to be willing and able to attend all seven weeks of this program.
How do I apply?
Complete the Talk like an Academic application form below. Please note that when you submit this application, you are applying for all seven workshops, Thursdays, January 18th - March 8th, 3:00pm - 5:00pm. You will be contacted via email to let you know whether you have been accepted.
- Dates & Times:
- 3:00pm - 5:00pm, Thursday, January 18, 2018
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Thursday, January 25, 2018
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Thursday, February 1, 2018
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Thursday, February 8, 2018
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Thursday, February 15, 2018
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Thursday, March 1, 2018
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Thursday, March 8, 2018
- Library 384
- McLaughlin Library
- EAL/ESL Graduate