Write like an Academic
What is the Write like an Academic series?
This six-week program provides support in academic written communication for graduate-level students with English as an Additional Language (EAL). This program provides students an opportunity to improve their writing in typical graduate-student academic and professional scenarios. The scenarios include:
- Writing emails to professors and/or advisors
- Providing written feedback to students as TAs
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Writing abstracts for academic audiences
- Writing cover letters to potential employers
- Organizing and writing a slide deck
This program is divided into six workshops that run over six weeks. Each workshop is two hours in length. This program is offered this Fall 2017 and accommodates 20 – 25 students per program.
Is Write like an Academic for you?
- Are you a graduate student or visiting scholar who has English as an Additional Language?
- Would you like to develop your confidence and skills in academic writing?
- Would you like a safe place to practice and develop writing strategies for a variety of academic contexts?
If you answered yes to these questions, then this program is for you!
When will the next Write like an Academic be offered?
Wednesdays from 3:00pm - 5:00pm, from September 27 - November 1, 2016.
What can you expect as a participant?
- Participants will engage in discussions around the challenges and strategies for successfully writing emails to advisors and professors; feedback to students (as TAs); paraphrases; abstracts; cover letters; and slide decks.
- Participants will engage in practice activities that will allow them to learn and practice written communication skills and strategies as they apply to these academic and professional scenarios.
- Students will brainstorm and develop language and vocabulary that can be used in these writing tasks.
How are participants selected?
This program accepts applications from any UofG graduate students with English as an Additional Language (EAL). We encourage students to be willing and able to attend all six weeks of this program.
How do I apply?
Complete the Write like an Academic application form below. Please note that when you submit this application, you are applying for all six workshops, Wednesdays, September 27 - November 1, 3:00 - 5:00 pm. You will be contacted via email to let you know whether you have been accepted.
- Dates & Times:
- 3:00pm - 5:00pm, Wednesday, September 27, 2017
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Wednesday, October 4, 2017
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Wednesday, October 11, 2017
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Wednesday, October 18, 2017
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Wednesday, October 25, 2017
3:00pm - 5:00pm, Wednesday, November 1, 2017
- Library 384
- McLaughlin Library